Holistic dentistry is a modern approach to oral health that also incorporates many other areas of our health and well-being to provide care that extends beyond the mouth's confines and overall health. The guiding principle of holistic dentistry is that by taking care of the entire body and mouth, our overall health will improve and have a constructive impact on our lives.
How does Holistic Dentistry work?
Holistic dentistry begins with an emphasis on proper oral health and good habits for cleaning the teeth and mouth. Regular dental check-ups and hygiene treatments are crucial, along with all the dental care practices you are already familiar with, such as brushing, flossing, and oral rinses. Holistic dentistry also lays a great deal of importance on avoiding mercury in any dental cures, such as fillings. The toxic effects of mercury are well recognized. Yet, it is still contained in a standard dental filling material known as 'amalgam.' Some of the immediate symptoms of metal toxicity include cough, sore throat, and shortness of breath, nausea, and high blood pressure. These symptoms, if left unrestricted, can progress to other effects such as anxiety, sleeping disorders, fatigue, vision problems, tremors, and more.
Holistic dentists will not use amalgam in any of their treatments; instead, they use alternative and non-toxic filling materials. They make it their main concern to replace toxic material and employ safer material for fillings.
What are the merits of Holistic Dentistry?
- Holistic dentistry considers the mouth as an integral part of the body and considers oral health problems with the overall body health. The mouth does not exist in a void, and cavities in your teeth are not standard. The mouth is a microenvironment that reflects the well-being of your body. The build-up of plaque and tartar on your teeth can be a pointer of problems in your hearts, brains, and pancreas. A holistic dentist focuses on balancing the bacteria in their patient's mouth to improve their teeth and gums and their overall health.
- As part of holistic philosophy, holistic dentists provide safe mercury amalgam removal techniques (SMART) and use biocompatible materials to restore your bite and smile.
- Holistic dentists don't support the indiscriminate use of fluoride as it is a known neurotoxin. Instead, they choose products and treatments to make their patient's teeth stronger using alternatives to fluoride. The ozone therapy can provide more benefits than fluoride without any damaging effects.
- Selecting a holistic dentist does not mean giving up high-tech treatments. It's just the opposite. Holistic dentistry is focused on modern, minimally-invasive technologies and treatments.
- Most of the snoring symptoms and sleep apnea can be observed during a routine dental examination and cleaning. Lack of sleep can lead to weight gain, memory loss, high blood pressure, stroke, heart attacks, impaired alertness, and sudden death. A holistically oriented sleep-trained dentist can fabricate a comfortable and cost-effective mouthpiece to keep the airway clear and allow proper breathing throughout the night.
Call us at Progressive Dental or schedule an online appointment to know more about Holistic Dentistry.